The IRS announced the standard mileage rates for 2015. You can find the announcement in IR-2014-79.
Beginning on January 1, 2015, the standard mileage rates for the use of a car (also vans and pickups) will be:
- 57.5 cents per mile for business miles driven
- 23 cents per mile for medical or moving purposes
- 14 cents per mile in service of charitable organizations
The business rate increased 1.5 cents from 2014 while the medical/moving rate dropped 0.5 cents. The charitable rate is based on Congressional statute.
The standard mileage rate for business is based on an annual study of the fixed and variable costs of operating an automobile. The rate for medical and moving purposes is based on the variable costs.
Standard rates for the last few years:
- Standard mileage rates for 2014
- IRS standard mileage rates for 2013
- New standard mileage rates for 2012
- Standard mileage rates for 2011 – longer explanation