If you are researching a tax question for a church or other faith-based ministry, you really should add the MinistryCPA blog to your list of resources.
Professor Corey Pfaffe has lots of great questions with short, clear answers.
Here are a just a few posts from the last few months you might find helpful:
- Disbursements to Foreign Nationals for Missions
- Form 1099-MISC for Missions Support
- Missionary: “Everything I spend is related to my ministry.” Umm. Not necessarily.
- Church Annual Filing Requirements – Superb reminders.
- $250 Threshold for Contribution Reporting–Explanation
- Church Official Statements of Annual Giving – Discussion of that special wording you must put on your year-end statements.
- Church as a Conduit for Non-Deductible Gifts – Don’t do the conduit routine. I think the ultimate bottom line is you really, really don’t want to have a discussion with your attorney on what the IRS means when they throw around this weird phrase they have called aiding-and-abetting tax fraud.
- Review of Congregation Donations to Staff Members
If you work in the finance area of a NPO or are a pastor, I heartily recommend you visit his blog regularly.
Even better idea would be to set up an RSS feed. That’s how I keep current with the professor’s writing.