Five great articles in the Wall Street Journal on November 28. If you have yesterdays paper sitting around, grab The Journal Report section and save it.
I will discuss these articles in more detail later, along with my thoughts on the operate-as-a-business question. In the meantime here are some links. Check them out – they are not behind a paywall!
- Should philanthropies operate like businesses? Two columns, one says yes, the other says no
- Putting charities to the financial test – – is an organization about to go bust? Before you give them money, you need to do some due diligence
- The ‘third rail’ of nonprofit: overhead – Discusses the starvation cycle that nonprofits can fall into.
- Before you join the board… – -It may be an honor. And it may be a pain.
- Ask nicely, please – -philanthropy experts offer their do’s and don’ts on how charities should solicit donations