Looking for a good introduction to NPO tax issues? Want a primer for your new board members? The IRS has a great web-based course that provides a well designed overview of many tax-exempt issues. The course is Stay Exempt – Tax Basics for 501(c)(3)s. It consists of five interactive modules.
The five modules are:
- Tax-Exempt Status – How can you keep your 501(c)(3) exempt?
- Unrelated Business Income – Does your organization generate taxable income?
- Employment Issues – How should you treat your workers for tax purposes?
- Form 990 – Would you like to file an error-free return?
- Required Disclosures -To whom do you have to show your records?
I viewed all five modules a while back so can heartily recommend them. I encourage your board and management to look at this free course. It will increase your knowledge of tax laws affecting tax-exempt organizations. You can complete the modules in any order. The online training website does not require registration, and visitors will remain anonymous.